Despite crashing in the first heat, Mathew Scholtz (ETR Nashua Yamaha R1) made sure that he minimized the damage to his 2016 Super GP championship hopes when he won the second race at Red Star Raceway on Saturday, 30 July.

Lance Isaacs (LIR Motorrad BMW S1000RR) extended his lead in the SuperMasters Interprovincial championship, winning both races while Adolf Boshoff (Neolife Yamaha R6) got the better of Steven Odendaal (Petra Yamaha R6) in both Super600 races.

Two wins for Aiden Liebenberg in the SuperJunior category have all but eliminated the lead that Brandon Staffen has opened up at the top of the log prior to arriving at Red Star.

Mathew Scholtz

Image by Paul Bedford – Action Images


During the winter break Scholtz spent time in America competing in their Superstock 1000 series where he finished on the podium in six of the eight races he competed in. He put this experience to good use in Friday afternoon’s qualifying session when he grabbed pole position from Clint Seller (Neolife Yamaha R1). Michael White (Consortium Shipping Yamaha R1) made it an all Yamaha front row when he claimed third. There were another two Yamahas on the second row of the grid, Brandon Goode (Linex Yamaha R1) in fourth and AJ Venter (Hygenica Racing Yamaha R1) in sixth separated by the Autohaus Towing / Kawasaki of Greg Gildenhuys.

Scholtz used his pole position to take the lead from the lights but a late braking maneuver at the end of the long straight allowed Seller to force his way through early on in the race. Seller slowly pulled away and was comfortably in front when the race was brought to a premature end when Ivan van Niekerk crashed his Harki Recon Engineering Yamaha R1. Scholtz, with a comfortable lead in the championship, was content to sit in second but a mistake at the hairpin saw him slide off the track. He was able to remount but dropped way down the field, eventually having to settle for twelfth.

White’s front row grid position did not help him at the start. He dropped way down the field after hitting a false neutral at the second corner, running as low as 15th at one stage. A determined ride saw him move all the way up to second ahead of Gildenhuys.

Isaacs had his best outing since Phakisa back in March, coming home in fourth just ahead of Venter and Garrick Vlok (Diamond Core Drilling BMW S1000RR).

In race two it was Seller who had a poor start, dropping to fourth. Scholtz took full advantage of this opening a substantial lead while Seller was getting past Gidenhuys and White. Seller did make it through into second and set off after Scholtz but the gap that Scholtz had opened in the early stages was just too big to bridge. Scholtz took the flag just 0.131 seconds ahead of the reigning champion.

White had a somewhat lonely race to third. Gildenhuys got the better of his battle with Vlok to take fourth with Isaacs in sixth.


Isaacs continued his winning run in the SuperMasters category, he has yet to be beaten in 10 races this season. In race 1 he was joined on the podium by Hendrik de Bruin (RSA Racing Yamaha R1) and Damion Purificati (Amalgam Welding Shop Kawasaki).

De Bruin was again second in race 2 with Jacques van Wyngaardt (Red Star Raceway BMW S1000RR) in third.

Blaze Baker leads the Super600 pack

Image by Paul Bedford – Action Images


Boshoff continued his run of Super600 pole positions, lapping the 4 km circuit 0.209 seconds quicker than Odendaal in Friday afternoon’s qualifying session. Blaze Baker (Uncle Andy Racing Suzuki GSXR 600) completed the front row of the grid.

The second row was an all Kawasaki affair with Dorren Loureiro (Family Fitness ZX6) ahead of Malcolm Rudman (Montclair Motorcycles ZX6) and Byron Bester (Hi-Tech Elements ZX6).

Normally it is Odendaal that makes lightning fast starts in the Super600 class but on this occasion Baker outdid even him when the lights went out at the start of race 1. Baker managed to lead the first lap but Boshoff, on the much quicker Yamaha, took the lead on the next tour. While Odendaal was trying to find a way past Baker, Boshoff opened up a substantial lead and, while Odendaal did close up towards the end, took a comfortable win.

While he made it hard for the Yamahas to get past him, Baker’s troubles were not over. Rudman was his next challenger and Kawasaki mounted rider eventually found a way through. Unfortunately for him crashed out with a couple of laps to go, handing third place back to Baker.

Loureiro and Dylan Barnard (Kawasaki ZX6) were fourth and fifth respectively with Darrien Kayser (B-Clean Cleaning Suzuki GSXR 600) in sixth.

In race two the pair of Yamahas had an almighty fight at the head of the field with the lead swapping a number of times throughout the 12-lap race. When it counted it was Boshoff in front to take his second win of the day from Odendaal. Rudman made up for his first race mishap to take the final podium position.

Baker had to watch from the sidelines when the ECU on his Suzuki popped leaving him with a bike that spluttered its way into retirement. With Loureiro also forced into retirement there was a change in the minor placings. Bester took fourth ahead of William Friend (Kawasaki ZX6) and Nicole van Aswegen (Women in Motorsport Triumph 675).

CJ Hackart crashed out of the lead

Image by Paul Bedford – Action Images


After missing the last round in Cape Town, Camron Hackart (Firequip / Elite Car Park) came back with a bang taking pole position in the SuperJunior category from Aiden Liebenberg (Fercor Construction) and Tyreece Robert (Autostyling / Indy Oil). Luca Coccioni (RAD KTM), Jared Schultz (ASAP World / Formula Auto) and Chase Hulscher (EXIS Engineering) filled the second row of the grid. Championship leader Brandon Staffen suffered mechanical problems in the opening practice session and was forced to miss the qualifying session as his team were still repairing his bike.

There was a three-way fight at the front of the first race with Hackart just managing to hold off Liebenberg and Robert until he lost the front end. This allowed Liebenberg to take the win just ahead of Robert. Coccioni got the better of Schultz in the battle for third with Staffen and Hulscher in fifth and sixth respectively.

In race two it was again a three-way battle at the front. This time they all managed to stay on two wheel and Liebenberg took his second win of the day. Hackart followed him over the line with Robert in third. Schultz and Staffen were again in fourth and fifth places while Coccioni had to settle for sixth.

Kawasaki ZX10R Masters Cup winner Sven Grune

Image by Paul Bedford – Action Images

Red Square Kawasaki ZX10R Masters Cup

The Red Square Zx10R Masters cup joined the SuperGP Champions Trophy for the first time at Red Star. In both heats Kyle Robinson (Fantech) was quickest off the line when the lights went out but championship leader Sven Grune (Page Properties) was able to make his was to the front by the time the flag came out. Teddy Brooke (Brooke Refrigeration) completed the podium on both occasions.

Northern Regions Racing

Thomas Brown (REHAB Racing Ducati) and Jade Gutzeit (Dunlop Ducati) gave an indication of what was to come in the BOTTS races when they qualified just 0.015 seconds apart. Gutzeit won the opening race from Brown but crashed out of the second while in the lead.  Jason Wessels (Supreme Moto Rentals KTM) claimed third in the opening heat.

With Gutzeit on the sidelines, Brown had a comfortable win in heat two from Wessels and Neil van Loggerenberg (Purewealth KTM).

Brandon Quaye (IWIS Drive Trains Kawasaki) took both Formula Xtreme wins from Byron Rothquel (Turnskill Engineering Kawasaki) and Joe Herbig (MV Brutale).

Luke MacGregor (Hi-Tech Elements Kawasaki) had what turned out to be a comfortable win in the opening 250 Cup after a mistake by Ricardo Otto (Inex Construction Kawasaki). Luca Balona (Armadillo Concepts Kawasaki) and Aiden Liebenberg (Fercor Construction Kawasaki) completed the podium. MacGregor was made to work much harder in the second heat, taking the win by just 0.188 seconds from Otto with Liebenberg in third.

Gareth Davidson won the opening KTM 390 Seniors race from Riaan Neveling. The positions were reversed in race two. Dave Griffin was third in both heats.

The next round of the SuperGP Champions Trophy takes place at Aldo Scribante in Port Elizabeth on Saturday, 27 August 2016.